Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Tasty Tuesday - Vintage Skillet French Toast

My bloggy friend Jen over at Balancing Beauty & Bedlam (gotta love the name of her blog) has been running a regular Tasty Tuesday theme for a while now. I keep meaning to join in, but always seem to be posting bits about my own cooking adventures on Fridays or Mondays--not Tuesdays. SO, I saved one up for today, and am officially joining in on the Tasty Tuesday fun!

My Dad has been holding a vintage Sunbeam electric skillet for me that I got to bring home after our visit over Father's Day Weekend. He always has said that you can't have better pancakes, grilled cheese or French Toast than this skillet can make. This one is actually my Mom's. He found another one in an antique store box for a $1.00--so this one is now mine. ALL MINE.


As you can see it has been lovingly assisting with meal preparations for years. For this installment of Tasty Tuesday I am going to highlight a simple and cheap dinner idea--Vintage Skillet French Toast. (We tend to have breakfast a lot for dinner in our house). This is by no means a complicated meal, nor an expensive one! (Jen promotes frugality on her blog, so I know she'll like this one!)

I used a loaf of IGA white bread that was on sale for $1.29, and a dozen eggs that were on sale for 99 cents. I already had butter from my weekly local dairy home delivery. (Okay, so the generous amount of local maple syrup that I pour all over mine is not cheap. Let's not even go there. But the good stuff is worth it!)

Start by whisking 3 eggs and a couple of cups of milk and some cinnamon and a pinch of salt together. (I made 8 slices). Get the skillet heating (mine was on 380 degrees). Toss in a generous slab of butter and you are on your way!


Since the IGA bread was pretty thin, I just want to pace it in the egg mixture briefly, turning once to coat. For a heartier, homemade bread you would definitely want to soak it. Lay the slices in the skillet and listen to the yummy bubbling!


Flip when they have reached the desired doneness. I was being overly cautious since I was going to be giving a slice to Ella.


Move to a warm plate, add butter and local maple syrup and dig in!


Seriously folks, my Dad is so right--my French Toast never cooks this evenly in a regular fry pan, nor does it get the great crunchy edges that it has here. Can you see those crunchy edges? Can you smell the French Toast goodness??


I think James liked them!


Ella did too!


Mmmmmm . . . . just . a . moment . I . am . chewing . my . last . golden . buttery . bite . . .


YUM!!!!!

7 comments:

Kaylovesvintage said...

looks yummy , my little monster has them ones a week

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Oooooh, that does look good! :) I wonder where I could find a skillet like that, because you are right, it just doesn't come out perfect in a regular frying pan. :) Visiting from Jen's party!

Maggi said...

Oh geez, I knew I shouldn't have read this post on an empty stomach! lol Those turned out great and I love that skillet! How cute are those kiddos?!

Sarah@VintageChic said...

I am pretty sure I will be making french toast tomorrow night! This sounds good to me! We do breakfast for dinner a lot. It's cheap and I never make breakfast in the mornings!

TeresaR said...

We rarely make French toast for some reason; dh really likes it too. Yours look delish. Maybe we'll just invite ourselves over. ;D

Liz said...

Yum. Jay hates "sweet" breakfast - he's a meat & eggs man. But the kids & I eat pancakes, French Toast or Waffles 2-3 times a week.
I really want a griddle. A frying pan does not do that sort of thing justice. Thanks for rubbing it in. lol
And this post made me go look at those brown-sugar cookies. Yum, again!

Allison said...

Hey Kay--we would have them more than once a week, but I am such a terrible grazer off of my kid's plates that i would be as big as a house!

Amanda, keep your eyes open for them at garage sales and let your local antique store owners that you are looking for one if they see one come through. You can also find them on Ebay for about 15 bucks.

Isn't it terrible to read food posts on an empty stomach, Maggi!

Sarah, try it for dinner and let me know how you liked it! (I tell myself that there is enough protein in the eggs to justify it as a dinner meal, LOL!)

Teresa you and your DH are welcome anytime! (Just make sure to bring me some blackberries!)

Liz, I hear you on having a meat and potatoes man!