Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Dinosaur ROAR!

James' 3rd birthday party is this Saturday, and it is a dinosaur theme.
So, we are doing all things dinosaur this week for crafts.
Today we made two crafty dinosaurs that we will be hanging as decorations for the party.
I downloaded a template for the first dinosaur from the All Kids Network here.


Then I copied it by free handing it on heavy weight construction paper with a black marker. Next I asked James to color it in, and then glue "spots" on it.


Next he applied little pom poms to the spots.
We added a googly eye and then started the next one!



I just free handed this triceratops
(I guess I have been staring at a lot of dinosaurs lately, since James is so obsessed!)


Next he colored it in,


Then we added another googly eye.
(Something about these eyes makes him laugh like crazy!)


More glue for spots,


And there we have it! (Please excuse the runny nose!)


We will make a few each day this week.
After they dry we will cut them out and hang them as decorations
for our little birthday party!

12 comments:

Chris said...

Looks great James! We should think about getting some "re-purposed" paper from somewhere to really make a connection to the whole recycling message. Perfect craft, a great way to make your own decorations and not spend money on that stuff! Love you guys.

Allison said...

Babe you are SO RIGHT! I think I saw a note in the River East Bulletin about reams of newsprint that they have available for free for just such a purpose!

TeresaR said...

Wow! You free-handed those drawings? Very impressive! James is so darned cute with his concentration and proud smile at the end. I hope you'll have a super fun party this weekend!

Jayne said...

What an artist you have there! Too cute!

NCmountainwoman said...

Wonderful decorations. It's too bad more people don't create those fun memories with their children. Store bought is just not the same. It may seem a little thing, but things like this teach children how to be creative and teach them that we don't need to run out and purchase so many things.

A New England Life said...

How darned cute is that! I remember those days. It almost seems like last week. I hope James has a wonderful Birthday party with plenty of gorgeous sunshine, friends and delicious cake!

Sharon

Kim said...

aawwww - how cute! I love it!! And your triceratops was better than the template you found of the other dinosaur!! haha

Dustjacket Attic said...

Hi there, thank you so much for visiting and commenting.

I love that dress too!

Cute as post btw.xx

Heavenly Housewife said...

What gorgeous little kiddies u have :)

Meg said...

Googly eyes make me laugh, too, great decorations! He's adorable and what a great idea to make your own decorations!

Allison said...

Teresa, I've been drawing the Triceratops a bunch for him lately, so I must be getting better at it!

NCMountainWoman--thanks--I really value the time that my Mom and Dad spent with me when I was little, getting down on my level, talking to me like I was an adult, sharing in the wonder of the world from a child's perspective. I'm trying to do the same for my little ones.

TeresaR said...

You're really terrific at it! :)