Friday, June 5, 2009

Grill A Summer Vegetable & Black Bean Salad!

I have been itching to put together a favorite recipe for my bloggy friend's Tasty Tuesday project. I'm a little early, but since the weekend is here, I though some of you might want to try it!

First, get your grill heating up. For my salad I start with a bunch of my favorite veggies--fresh corn on the cob is available here now (the corn I planted is just now peeking out of the ground, so that will be a long while before it makes it into this dish!) I also grab some Vidalia onions, a Pablano pepper. green peppers, cherry tomatoes and squash.

Slice them up and place on a tinfoil covered sheet (for easy clean up). Spray with cooking spray or brush with olive oil on both sides. Place on the grill, and be mindful of any pieces that you may have sliced really thin, as they could burn easily.


After everything starts to smell good (like one of those Sausage and Pepper vendors at the fair) and there is a decent char on the veggies, take them off the grill.


Next, I shave the corn off of the cob. This step always reminds me of when I was a kid and had braces. This is how my Dad had to prepare it for me! What an agonizing few summers, not being able to eat my corn on the cob with typical typewriter action!


Next, rough chop the rest of the veggies.


Throw everything in a bowl, and add black beans. Rinse them first (some people don't, but I always have.)


Next, I salt and pepper liberally, and add olive oil (a few turns around the bowl) and balsamic vinegar. This is a great step in the recipe to experiment: I have used Newman's Italian Dressing here and been very pleased with the result as well.


Voila! Isn't it beautiful? You could add chopped basil or cilantro, serve it as a topping for fish tacos, alongside steak, or mix it with pasta.



I scooped a little in my bowl for lunch, and then topped with Feta cheese.


Summer perfection in a bowl! Now, it will truly be perfect once my own basil, tomatoes and corn are in it!

9 comments:

A New England Life said...

Oh my, this is definitely something my husband and I would like. I'll have to show it too him!

Thanks Allison!

Sharon

CC said...

We don't have a grill. That could be a problem. Right?

Allison said...

CC--no, do you have one of those indoor grill plates that you can put over two burners on your stove? Or a cast iron grill pan? It would take longer--but still be GREAT! Better yet, know any neighbors with grills that are out of town??

Jayne said...

Oh my... that looks purely delicious! Now, my tumbly is rumbly!

TeresaR said...

What a marvelous salad! It's a meal in itself. I'm going to send dh here to read it (he's the grill guy...what guy isn't, eh? ;) ).

Chris said...

Us guys prefer to grill MEAT!

Larry said...

I'm in on the tomato and basil in my garden too. I found out last year that basil grows well-eaier than tomatoes.Maybe my wife will cook me up that black bean recipe-looks pretty good!

Dustjacket Attic said...

Hi there, thanks for your visit and comment :)

Mmmm that looks sooo tasty!

Kelly said...

Yum, yum, yum!!! I'm going to try this...thank you!