Thursday, June 18, 2009

Airline Rail Trail -- South Section Part 4

Regular readers know that we have been exploring the Airline Rail Trail over the last few months. If the weather is nice, I try to get on the trail twice a week. It is a stone's throw from my house and the south section of the trail is about 20 miles long. There are several entry points that make it very interesting. We do between 2 and 6 miles at a time. We went yesterday and the quality of the sunlight was stunning the entire walk.















Walking the trail with the kids has been such a great experience. We sing songs, recite nursery rhymes, point our birds, and play "I Spy" the entire way.

After 4 miles, 1 snapping turtle, 3 red-winged blackbirds, 1 Great Blue Heron, and one deer that I thought was real that turned out to be a decoy, I was ready to call it in and head for home.

You can read about our adventures walking on the South section of the trail that runs from East Hampton to Windham with these links: first time walking the trail here, our 2nd section walk here, and our 3rd section walk here.

4 comments:

Meg said...

What a GORGEOUS trail!! A great place for kids to explore safely. Love your photos!

TeresaR said...

You're very lucky to have such a wonderful trail close to your house! I was going to ask you if that was a snapping turtle, and you answered my question at the end there. :)

Grace@PoeticHome said...

What a wonderful adventure! How cute is that turtle (at a distance, of course)? The moss, the ferns, the greenery, and the happy babies -- all make for a marvelous adventure!

Ruth said...

Great photos! I wish someone would push me and sing with me for 4 miles ;-)