Saturday, May 22, 2010

My First 5K!


Today I participated in a 5K put on by the town of Longmeadow and I loved every minute of it!

We had to get to the race registration at 7am, where I paid my fee and got my number, and then the walkers (my group, since right now I am only alternating walking and jogging) started off at 7:30am.

The day was cool and beautiful, and the kids were in great spirits. At many houses we passed, people were gathered on the front steps or the lawn to watch the race go buy--so it felt like we had a little cheering section every block or so.

With every step I felt really good about how much stronger I have gotten, just in the last few months because of all of the walking and biking I have been doing. I have really been trying to make a mindset change--worrying less about having the perfect body and more about having a healthy and athletic body. I don't want my kids to worry about their weight or their looks--I want them to be confident in their strength.

The runners started 30 minutes after the walking group--and I was just happy that they didn't lap us! We came in third! They only part that stank was that Chris is out of town for work, so while other people had their families cheering them thru the finish we did not. But--the two people that came in before us turned and congratulated us as we came thru. That was a class act, I think!

Maybe we'll be in the running group next year!

6 comments:

Christy Killoran said...

Congratulations! You have a great attitude.

Unknown said...

You came in third in your first 5k??!! That is amazing!!!! Congratulations!
Oh - and I agree 100%. I am trying to instill a healthy attitude in my kids - literally & figuratively.
We are not exercising to "look good" but to "feel good" and to take care of our bodies.
Good for you! We're good mommies!

A New England Life said...

That's awesome Allison! My husband runs 5k's on occasion so I know the adrenaline you must have been feeling. For my husband it's like a drug.

Keep it up, I'm so proud of you! I'm sure the kids were too : )

Jayne said...

You go girl!! That must been a huge feeling of accomplishment. And, like you said, a happy and healthy body is what we should all strive to have. Congratulations!!

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Allison!!! We are as proud of you as you are of yourself! Exercise is so important, but many of us forget (I'm guilty) sometimes. Bummer Chris wasn't there.

Kat said...

There is a 5K coming up in Clinton, CT if you're interested!