Monday, December 17, 2007

I Need an Intervention!

A STROLLER intervention!

Seriously, now, I am still on my first kid and I just bought my fifth, yes I said FIFTH stroller! I swear I have either a sickness or just plain bad luck (Or maybe I am picky--you might be thinking? Me? Naaaww!!!!)

When I was about 4 months pregnant with James, Chris and I went to a little local baby goods store and bought a primo set by Peg Perego. This was on an excellent recommendation from a family member. (cough Gini) Anyhow--it was b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l! It had everything you could want--and it was EXPENSIVE. But, I was thinking, it is made in Italy, and I like pasta, so I'll like this right? Err... almost right.

PEG PEREGO VENENZIA


The thing about this stroller is that it is HEAVY (so when you have recently had your baby and you need to fold it up and put it in your car it is HARD (and I am no shrinking violet in the biceps area). Also, snapping the baby carrier / car seat into the stroller (this is known as a travel system, don'tcha know) is FREAKING IMPOSSIBLE. I spent more time in parking lots trying to snap the whole thing in place and swearing like a drunken sailor than I ever have. The one word I can use to sum up my experience with the Peg Perego Venenzia:

CRAIGSLIST.ORG

But, it was ranked as one of the SAFEST travel systems, and so even though it was a ton of money and it made me so MAD when I was trying to get James in and out of the stroller part of it, I was OK with it. Really. No, really. I was--really. OK, you're right. IT SUCKED.

Now, I never heard anything negative about it from Gini. I must have just gotten a bad one. (Again, it is ME we are talking about--RIGHT?) So one day, Chris and I (because it wasn't just me that couldn't snap the thing in place) took it back to the store and asked if it was supposed to be so hard. What did the guy say? "Well, it's European."

WHAT???!!!

Does that mean when I get into my smokin' hot red Ferrari that I have trouble clicking in my seat belt?? I think not. All of you I-Tal-yans out there should be pretty offended.



Next, I decided that I wanted to start running again with the baby, and so that put me in the market for stroller #2. I ended up purchasing a Dreamer Design jogging stroller and to this day, I LOVE IT.

DREAMER DESIGN
Anyhow--long story longer--I was SO EXCITED when James grew out of his car seat and we had to get him a bigger one. That also put me in the market for Stroller #3, a smaller, more light weight, more compact umbrella-type stroller. I did tons of research and came up with the Inglesina. It was great--Chris and I loved it--James loved it, and it came in orange, (our family's signature color--although the pic below is black. You get the idea.)

INGLESINA


On a trip back East we checked it plane-side in Vegas and it came back to us smashed. Thanks US Air!

So then we bought another stroller--Stroller # 4. This time it was a Combi. Again, orange, it had a carrying strap (for bringing it up the jet way) it seemed durable and it had good reviews.

COMBI



Again, after a trip back East, the wheels were all funky and so (thank goodness we had the warranty) we were in the market for another one--Stroller #5. Now, we are the proud owners of a Chicco Trevi. Cool thing about this stroller is that it also accepts Chicco's car seat / baby carrier (in case we are in the market for another one in the future--well, that is if this stroller doesn't break first.) So far, I like it. Plus, it's orange. And thank goodness we aren't planning any trips back East soon--looks like US Air just EATS strollers for breakfast.

CHICCO TREVI

By the way, when I say I feel like I have spent a lot on strollers, the truth is, you should SEE how much some strollers out there are. Here are a few examples:

For just $800 you can get the new Stoke Xplory:
And, for about $3,000 you can get the Balmoral Carriage.
So my dear family and friends, when the doorbell rings and you are all standing at my front door with a therapist and a TV crew, I'll know that I am going to be on HBO's Intervention to help me kick the stroller habit!

6 comments:

Gini said...

OK - 3 children, each got a Peg Perego Venezia. Never EVER had a problem. It's you. They all did get totally trashed on airplanes, you are correct. I did sell Garrin's on craigslist after I hosed all the crap off of it. It was still wet when the people picked it up.

Chris said...

Is it 3:49 am? Oh I gotta go....

Chris said...

Funny post honey. 1) I bought stroller #2 since you wouldn't stop complaining about stroller #1, don't you remember? 2) Gini never had a problem with her strollers because she never tried and loved an EASY one! (TYPO IN THE FIRST COMMENT SORRY!)

Gini said...

"...she never tried and loved an EASY one...." BITE ME Chris. You are just jealous than I spent way less...oh, wait...how much was the PLIKO?

Jerolyn said...

OKAY I have a stroller from Target that is EASY and LIGHTWEIGHT and can fold up with one hand. It works just fine and Eliie likes it just fine. To be honest I wouldn't know a brand name stroller if it smacked me in the face and quite frankly I wouldn't think it were and better than my cheapy fron Target/just way more expensive SO ~ In my house the kids don't get fancy schmancy EXPENSIVE strollers/esp if they have to be replaced over and over.

Jerolyn said...

and I can't spell apparently~or profe reed???

were ANY better
froM Target