Monday, February 9, 2009

Homemade Bread and Bolognese Sauce

I wanted a warm and comforting meal for Sunday evening. Comforting to me means bread and peasant food.

I have often struggled with getting my homemade bread to rise, and have been searching for a fail-safe recipe. I found it on a new blog I have been reading called Home Grown.


Not only did the two loaves come out perfectly, but the total recipe time is less than an hour-and-a-half. Her recipe calls for bread flour, I used King Arthur's All-Purpose.


The bread was so chewy and moist--I could hardly believe that I had made it. And the best part? My son said, "Mommy makes the BEST bread."


Next part of the meal? A Bolognese sauce. My husband is the one who usually makes sauce in our household. His is a simple Marinara that is just fantastic. Loaded with fresh basil, garlic, and crushed tomatoes--it sits on the stove all day filling the house with LOVE.

But for Sunday I wanted something a little heartier. I am a fan of Tyler's Ultimate on Food Network. Last week he made his Ultimate Lasagna and made a Bolognese sauce to use in the filling. I have been trying to make things that will give me two meals, or leftovers, or enough so that I can stretch my grocery store dollar a little further, and I thought that this Bolognese would be great over pasta. I could freeze the rest and use it later in the week for lasagna.

Tyler's recipe didn't dissappoint. You can find it here.


The end result? A wonderful, family-style Sunday dinner that was pretty simple and full of flavour!


I will note here, that as always, there had to be at least ONE thing that went wrong during my cooking and baking adventure. I think this picture says it all!

My husband got quite the laugh out of this.

Best wishes to you if you decide to make these recipes. I will definitely be making them again.

1 comment:

Angie said...

I am glad you like the bread recipe. I will pass along the compliments to the Lady who gave me the recipe. :)