Saturday, May 3, 2008

Goodness from Childhood

Do you have those certain things, foods, places from your past that really remind you of your childhood years?

I have been thinking about a homemade Oreo ice cream that my Mom used to make for my sister and I when we were kids. The great thing about it was that it didn't require an ice cream maker. It was sweet and vanilla-ey and filled with crushed Oreos and I loved it.

Well, I was talking to my Mom about it the other day, and we had both been trying to find the recipe. She found this one and sent it my way. Neither of us remember it having egg yolks in it, but I tried it anyway.

Oreo Ice Cream

3 egg yolks
1 can Eagle Brand condensed milk
2 tBS water
2 cups whipping cream
1 TSP vanilla
1 cup coarsely crushed Oreos

Whisk egg yolks in a bowl. Mix in water, condensed milk and vanilla. Whip cream until light and fluffy. Fold cream and Oreos into egg mixture. Pour into a Ziploc container (one big one for a party, or several smaller ones) Freeze for 6 hours. Enjoy!

The whole time I was making it I was saying over and over, "Please oh please, if this tastes ANYTHING like I remember I will be in such HEAVEN!"

So, did it taste like I remember? Was I instantly transported to being a 10-year-old girl with pigtails riding my pony bareback in the woods behind my house in cutoffs on a balmy August day?

YUP.


Thanks Mom. You're the best!

6 comments:

Sherri said...

Sounds good;I'll have to try it!

Kim said...

That looks yummy! BTW, I love the picture of Henry and Rocco!

Gini said...

S.H.U.T...T.H.E...H.*.L.L...U.P!!! You made that????? Sweet!

Jerolyn said...

K' this made me laugh!

S.H.U.T...T.H.E...H.*.L.L...U.P!!! You made that????? Sweet!

Redhead in Vegas said...

you really must be a great cook. the first time i made ice cream i scrambled the egg yolks because i didn't temper the mixture properly.

your recipe looks delish! i may have to try it soon.

alice c said...

My mother used to make Brown Bread Ice Cream. It doesn't sound very exciting but you mix breadcrumbs with a caramel sauce and then fold into vanilla ice-cream. It is delicious!