Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Grown Here, Not Flown Here - - Shaker Farm

Having grown up with parents who had an enormous garden and kept chickens, geese, turkeys, rabbits and horses on a 24-acre piece of heaven in Maine, the "buy local" phrase has been a part of my life forever.

Yes, if I could, at this very moment I would be living on a small farm with all of the above-mentioned animals, a somewhat smaller garden (I do not profess to have the green thumb that my Dad has) and millions of flowers. That day will come. Soon. I. hope.

In the meantime, I get the majority of my local produce from a little place called Shaker Farm. Chris and I have been going there since we met (10+ years ago.) During that time that we lived in the desert on the other side of the country we often spoke about Shaker Farms, and how we wished that we were running out for their blueberries, or tomatoes, or butter and sugar corn.

Thankfully, now Shaker Farm is just the next town over.

I stopped in today for some tomatoes and blueberries, and when I noticed that the girl that rang me up had on a new shirt. I HAD to have one!

A few minutes later the owner came out with one for me!! YAY!!!


If you are in the mood for some local produce (and baked goods--me, the baker now has a strawberry-rhubarb pie on the counter), just head to Shaker Farm!

2 comments:

Jayne said...

How nice it is to be able to enjoy locally grown produce and to create some yummy summer treats!

Anonymous said...

Cute t; good message! My guys are in the garden harvesting green beans as I type this...LOL!