Friday, January 16, 2009

A Big Day


Happy First Birthday Matthew!


On Sunday, my nephew Matthew Francis is turning 1.
In his honor, I am sharing a favorite birthday poem!

What Would You Be?

By Dr. Seuss

If you'd never been born, well then what would you be?
You might be a fish? Or a toad in a tree!
You might be a doorknob! Or three baked potatoes!
You might be a bag of hard green tomatoes!
Or worse than all that- why, you might be a WASN'T!
A WASN'T has no fun at all. No, he doesn't.
A WASN'T just isn't. He just isn't present.
But you- you ARE YOU! And now, isn't that pleasant?
Today you are you! That is truer than true!
There is no one alive who is you-er than you!
Shout loud, "I am lucky to be what I am!
Thank goodness I'm not just a clam or a ham!
Or a dusty old jar of sour gooseberry jam!
I am what I am! That's a great thing to be!
If I say so myself, "HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!

3 comments:

Gini said...

That is such a sweet little tribute to Matthew. You beat us all to it! Fantastic picture of Kimmy and Matthew together. Did you take that? Can I get a copy?

Kim said...

Shoot! How did you beat me to this?!!

Very nice post - thank you!

Liz said...

I love that picture, too, and I want a copy, too!