Thursday, June 5, 2008

I've been dreaming . . .

About lilacs.

When I was a little girl, my mom used to open the windows in my bedroom on the second floor of our old farmhouse and the room would fill with the scent of lilacs. We had two very old bushes growing on the side of the house; one white and one purple and growing together they made a beautiful sight.

She sent me a picture the other day of lilacs that she had cut from the bush and brought to her antique shop.

In her e-mail to me she wrote, "I wish I could send you the smell!"

Me too, Mom.

Isn't it funny how something can make you miss your childhood home so much?

As you can see, I have redesigned my blog so that I could see lilacs everyday.

And, here is a tomato update for you--I just picked a bunch of the red beauties this morning:


I wish I could send the smell and the taste to you!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes...its beautiful and the lilacs are fat and pretty this year...remember how you and Amy used to hang out the window to cut the white ones because they were taller than the second floor?

Kim said...

Very pretty! Dennis picked me some when we went on our ride through the Berkshires. They were fabulous! We must get some for our yard.

Jerolyn said...

I love the smell of Lilacs too. My neighbors had HUGE lilac bushes all along one side of their yard and in the summer I would pick them and put them on the dashboard of my un air conditioned car so I could smell them everywhere I had to go.

dottycookie said...

Lovely, lovely lilacs. And you're so lucky to have tomatoes already - ours are weeks off yet!

Denise said...

Do you sleep? xo

Allison said...

Anonymous--Hi Mom!!! Good to see ya! Yup--I totally remember that. I wonder if Amy does?

Kimmy--if I had a huge yard like yours you bet your bippy I'd be planting tomatoes in it! And corn, and cukes, and sweet peas, and morning glories . . .

Jerolyn--I can just smell 'em all hot and fragrant in your car!

Dotty--Yes, we are lucky, bu that luck comes with the fact that it will be so scorchingly hot here soon that they better bust all of the fruit out NOW, or the green ones will never make it!

Denise--uh, NO. But I wouldn't have it any other way!

Gini said...

OK - here's what I have to say: Cut your hair, stop worrying about what you are eating - you are pregnant for god sakes - you are getting a little crazy about that - you look great - change your blog back to the lemony goodness it once was - and I just LOVE lilacs too. My grandparents had a ton of them in their backyard. Bringin' me way back......

Kim said...

I meant we need to get some lilacs - tomatoes are going in this weekend. You know - when it's going to be 98 degrees! Too bad it won't be a dry heat!